[openstack-dev] [tc][packaging][deb] retiring Packaging Deb project

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Thu Aug 3 20:52:05 UTC 2017

On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 10:09:59AM -0400, Allison Randal wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The Debian OpenStack packagers are gathered at the annual Debian
> developer event, and discussing the future of OpenStack packaging for
> Debian. There's general agreement that we'd like to go ahead and package
> Pike, but also agreement that we'd like to move back to the Debian
> infrastructure for doing packaging work. There are a variety of reasons,
> including that:
>
> - Using the familiar Debian workflows and infrastructure is a better way
> to attract experienced Debian developers to the work, and
>
> - The way we set up the Debian packaging workflow on OpenStack Infra was
> a temporary compromise, and not really a good fit for OpenStack Infra
> (or for Debian).
>
> As a result of the change, we'd like to retire the Packaging Deb
> project in OpenStack, and there will be no candidate running for Queens
> PTL for the project. There will be some cleanup work to do, around
> deb-* repos and other aspects of the Debian packaging workflow we set up
> with OpenStack Infra, following the standard retirement procedures:
>
> https://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/drivers.html#retiring-a-project
>
> The OpenStack installation tutorial for Debian will remain in OpenStack,
> and we'll update it for Pike.
>
> If you have any concerns about the retirement, please let us know
> (especially other distros that use .deb format packages), we'll wait a
> bit for feedback before moving ahead with the cleanup.

++ I've already gone a head a few weeks ago and stop the usptream-repo sync that
was setup when packaging first started, that will make retiring projects easier.

Feel free to ping in #openstack-infra when ready, because the amount of projects
that will be retired, the incoming patch will be a magnet for merge conflicts.