[openstack-dev] [openstack-ansible][security] To firewalld, or not to firewalld

Logan V. logan at protiumit.com
Thu Aug 3 16:05:01 UTC 2017

Ferm DSL is nice and featureful. There's a pretty sophisticated debops
ferm role at [1] allowing for pretty sophisticated rule definitions
[2]. Structurally I think the most important thing is having the
ability to define rules in layers based on host_vars, group_vars, etc.
and have them blended together by the firewall role using a weighting
system. You can get really fancy with the rules definitions as shown
by the rules.d template in debops-ferm [3].

My question now is what does ferm give us that iptables-save
templating does not? Writing ferm configuration can differ pretty
substantially from iptables-save syntax, and we add another language
dependency (perl) in the process. I think for ferm to make sense, we
should be able to argue pretty convincingly that there's some major
advantages over laying down a consolidated templated iptables-save
file. IMO we can have all of the same sophistication this way and
expose it in a very nice interface through ansible vars.

[1] https://github.com/debops/ansible-ferm
[2] https://docs.debops.org/en/latest/ansible/roles/ansible-ferm/docs/
[3] https://github.com/debops/ansible-ferm/tree/master/templates/etc/ferm