[openstack-dev] [release] Release countdown for week R-3, Aug 4 - Aug 11

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Aug 3 13:03:59 UTC 2017

Welcome to our regular release countdown email!

Development Focus
-----------------

Focus should be on the last Pike release-critical bugs, in order to
produce the first Pike release candidates sometimes during the week.

General Information
-------------------

We are at the point in the cycle where release branches should be cut.
The stable/pike branch will track the Pike release, while the master
branch will switch to Queens development (and no longer be feature-frozen).

Future release candidates (or last-minute point releases fixing critical
issues) will be cut from those release branches. Fixes first need to
land in the master branch (so that we don't inadvertantly create a
regression in Queens), then be backported to stable/pike before the new
release candidate is tagged.

Actions
-------

Deliverables following the cycle-with-milestones model should post a RC1
openstack/releases request during the week (X.0.0.0rc1), together with a
stable/pike branch request. It should include something like this:

  - projects:
      - hash: YOURHASH
        repo: openstack/YOURPROJECT
    version: YOURVERSION.0.0.0rc1
branches:
  - location: YOURVERSION.0.0.0rc1
    name: stable/pike

Deliverables following the cycle-with-intermediary model should also
create their Pike release branch next week. That means potentially
making a last Pike release, and in all cases posting the stable/pike
branch creation request:

branches:
  - location: YOUR.PIKE.VERSION
    name: stable/pike

Upcoming Deadlines & Dates

RC1 target deadline (and HardStringFreeze): August 10
Final Pike release: August 30
Queens PTG in Denver: Sept 11-15

As usual come find us on #openstack-release IRC channel if you have any
questions or concerns.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)