[openstack-dev] [all][ptl][stable][release] stable/pike branches created for most libraries

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Thu Aug 3 02:43:04 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 08:00:22AM -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Excerpts from Dmitry Tantsur's message of 2017-07-29 20:06:18 +0200:
> > Just to clarify: we cannot land the tox.ini change until the requirements repo
> > is actually branched, right?
>
> Good point. The tests for those patches are passing for some projects in
> CI, but when the patches are landed it will make it a little harder for
> anyone to run the tests for the branch elsewhere because the
> requirements repo has not yet been branched.
>
> So, yes, hold off on landing the constraint URL changes.

I wonder if we should look at publishing the upper-constraints.txt file
somewhere (other than cgit).  If we did something like:

tarballs.o.o/constraints/$series.txt

We wouldn't have an issue when we EOL a branch and the url's hard-coded
in tox.ini breaking.  queens.txt wouldn't exist until we branch
requirements but we could work around that with a redirect if needed.

Later we could get really crazy and make a version that took a package
name and version perhaps like:

tarballs.o.o/constraints/$(python setup.py --name)/$(python setup.py --version)

Which would redirect to the appropriate series file.  I think we have
enough data in openstack/releases to generate those redirects.  We'd
need to think about projects / repos that don't use the release
infrastructure.

That'd mean we could get way from hard-coding the URLs in tox.ini and
therefore not need to update them at branch time.

I've either had too much coffee or not enough.  y'all decide.

Yours Tony.