[openstack-dev] [openstack-ansible] Queens PTL candidacy

Jean-Philippe Evrard jean-philippe at evrard.me
Wed Aug 2 21:16:22 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,

I would like to announce my candidacy for PTL of the
OpenStack-Ansible project for the Queens cycle.

I will focus on the following themes:

1) Improve the usability

It can be difficult for a newcomer to fully grasp the way
OpenStack-Ansible works, and the first experience can be daunting.
The deploy and operator's guides are a step in the right direction,
and we must continue that documentation effort to show that our
solution can scale up to any operator's size.

OpenStack-Ansible has largely grown since its creation, and we support
much more roles now. That is a positive improvement. We now have more
features that people want to use. As a consequence, we also carry less
used roles that are less maintained. My objective is to reduce our
technical debt if possible, standardize more, and make sure the less
maintained roles don't have a negative impact on our image.
For that, I'd like to formalize our role maturity index as a way to
show role adoption, and to easily spot if the role is meeting
our latest testing/coding standards.

2) Redesign for the future, while still improving operator's experience

We've always taken the decision to go for proven technology/low risks/
low maintenance solutions.
I intend to keep this mindset, but also introduce newer architecture:

* Re-design the placement of web servers/reverse proxy, thanks to the
  recent work done for UWSGI support.
* Introduce systemd-nspawn, next to LXC.
* Change our default deployments to be more converged, to reduce
  the amount of containers to manage.
* Separate the installation and configuration steps of a deploy,
  and test it in our gates. This would allow larger operators to build
  their own "artifacts" separately of their consumption in a standard
  way, and share experience in the larger community.
* Upgrade to Ansible 2.4.

I look forward to working with you all, and it would be my honor
to serve as PTL for the next cycle.

Best regards,

Jean-Philippe Evrard (evrardjp)