[openstack-dev] [nova][docs] Concerns with docs migration

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Wed Aug 2 15:34:10 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017, Stephen Finucane wrote:
> Unfortunately I can't think of any cleverer way to identify these broken links
> than manual inspection. I'll do this again for all the patches I've authored
> and try to do them for any others I encounter.

if there's access available to the web server logs:

Get access to the server logs, grep for 404 response codes, sort by
url, order by count. Anything that has a high number should be
compared with the .htaccess file that Sean created.

> This is a tricky one. Based on previous discussions with dhellmann, the plan
> seems to be to replace any references to 'nova xxx' or 'openstack xxx' commands
> (i.e. commands using python-novaclient or python-openstackclient) in favour of
> 'curl'-based requests. The idea here is that the Python clients are not the
> only clients available, and we shouldn't be "mandating" their use by
> referencing them in the docs. I get this, though I don't fully agree with it
> (who really uses curl?). In any case though, this would surely be a big rewrite
> and, per your concerns in #2 above,  doesn't sound like something we should be
> doing in Pike. I guess a basic import is the way to go for now. I'll take care
> of this.

As much as I think using the raw HTTP is an important learning
tool, using curl in the docs will make the docs very hard to
comprehend.

--
Chris Dent                      (⊙_⊙')         https://anticdent.org/