[openstack-dev] [Zun] Queens PTL candidacy

Hongbin Lu hongbin.lu at huawei.com
Tue Aug 1 22:34:32 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I nominated myself to be a candidate of Zun PTL for Queens. As the founder of this
project, it is my honor to work with all of you to build an innovative
OpenStack container service.

OpenStack provides a full-featured data center management solution which
includes multi-tenant security, networking, storage, management and monitoring,
and more. All theses services are needed regardless of whether containers,
virtual machines, or baremetal servers are being used [1]. In this context,
Zun's role is to bring prevailing container technologies to OpenStack and
enable the reuse of existing infrastructure services for containers.
Eventually, different container technologies should be easily accessible by
cloud consumers, which is a goal Zun is contributing to.

Since April 2016, in which the project was founded, the Zun team has been
working hard to achieve its mission. We managed to delivere most of the
important features includes:
* A full-featured container API.
* A docker driver that serves as reference implementation.
* Neutron integration via Kuryr-libnetwork.
* Two image drivers: Docker Registry (i.e. Docker Hub) and Glance.
* Multi-tenancy: Containers are isolated by Keystone projects.
* Horizon integration.
* OpenStack Client integration.
* Heat integration.

By looking ahead to Queens, I would suggest the Zun team to focus on the
followings:
* NFV: Containerized NFV workload is emerging and we wants to adapt this trend.
* Containers-on-VMs: Provide an option to auto-provision VMs for containers.
  This is for use cases that containers need to be strongly isolated by VMs.
* Cinder integration: Leverage Cinder for providing data volume for containers.
* Alternative container runtime: Introduce a second container runtime as a
  Docker alternative.
* Capsule API: Pack multiple containers into a managed unit.

Beyond Pike, I would estimate Zun to move toward the following directions:
* Kubernetes: Kubernetes is probably the most popluar containers orchestration
  tool, but there are still some gaps that prevent Kubernetes to work well with
  OpenStack. I think Zun might be able to help to reduce the gaps. We could
  explore integration options for Kubernetes to make OpenStack more appealing
  for cloud-native users.
* Placement API: Nova team is working to split its scheduler out and Zun would
  like to leverage this new service if appropriate.

[1] https://www.openstack.org/assets/pdf-downloads/Containers-and-OpenStack.pdf

Best regards,
Hongbin