[openstack-dev] [magnum] Interface configuration and assumptions for masters/minions launched by magnum

Mark Goddard mark at stackhpc.com
Tue Aug 1 11:58:03 UTC 2017

I'm going to assume we're talking about a typical environment with nova and
neutron here. There are two separate boots to consider:

1. The IPA deployment ramdisk, which writes the user's image to the node's
disk.
2. The user's image.

Prior to 1, ironic communicates with neutron to apply additional DHCP
options required for network booting to the DHCP response issued to the
deployment ramdisk during provisioning.

When the user's image boots (assuming the node is configured for localboot
rather than netboot), it is not really any different than a typical nova
VM. The image, often using a service such as cloud-init, should arrange for
the appropriate interface(s) to start a DHCP client. Neutron will be
configured to provide a DHCP response.

The missing piece that enables the use of multiple network interfaces is
physical network awareness [1]. This feature will be available in the Pike
release, and allows an operator to tag ironic ports with the physical
network to which they are attached. With this information, ironic is able
to correctly map the virtual neutron ports passed by the user via nova to
the physical ironic ports. Previously, this mapping was essentially random
and would lead to the node's DHCP requests landing at the wrong neutron
DHCP server instance in some cases.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ironic/+bug/1666009

Mark