[openstack-dev] [Openstack] All Hail our Newest Release Name - OpenStack Rocky

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Sat Apr 29 16:09:31 UTC 2017

On 04/28/2017 06:26 PM, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It would also be nice to actually get an email to vote. I haven't seen
> one. :) Not that I'm not ok with the name, just saying that it may be
> worth exploring what happened.

Terribly sorry about that!

Last elections (for O and P) we generated such a flood of unexpected
email that the admins at CMU thought something had been hacked. This led
to the introduction of a bunch of rate limiting and other mitigation in
the election software (yay us) This time I had a script submitting
information that honored the rate-limit and it took an entire week to
submit all the emails ... and still some folks did not receive one (but
we also can't track down what happened, since it's someone else's hosted
service)

The summary is - I think that we may have grown too large to continue to
make use of the free service that CMU is providing- although we're
obviously grateful to them for providing the service thus far.

We've started some initial discussions about hosting our own (after all,
our mailing list server sends way more mail quite successfully every
day) but haven't made a full plan yet.