[openstack-dev] [gnocchi] per-sack vs per-metric locking tradeoffs

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Fri Apr 28 14:11:19 UTC 2017

On Fri, Apr 28 2017, gordon chung wrote:

> refresh i believe is always disabled by default regardless of what
> interface you're using.

You gotta to show me where it is 'cause I can't see that and I don't
recall any option for that. :/

> in the case of cross-metric aggregations, this is a timeout for entire
> request or per metric timeout? i think it's going to get quite chaotic
> in the multiple metric (multiple sacks) refresh. :(

Right I did not think about multiple refresh. Well it'll be a nice
slalom of lock acquiring. :-)

> i'm hoping not to have a timeout because i imagine there will be
> scenarios where we block trying to lock sack, and when we finally get
> sack lock, we find there is no work for us. this means we just added x
> seconds to response to for no reason.

Right, I see your point. Though we _could_ enhance refresh to first
check if there's any job to do. It's lock-free. Just checking. :)

--
Julien Danjou
# Free Software hacker