[openstack-dev] [nova] Compute Node restart

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Fri Apr 28 12:54:36 UTC 2017

On 27 April 2017 at 06:45, Ajay Kalambur (akalambu) <akalambu at cisco.com> wrote:
> I am just issuing a reboot command on the compute node
>
> Not a reboot –f
>
> From: Mark Mielke <mark.mielke at gmail.com>
> Date: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 8:42 PM
> <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>, Ajay Kalambur <akalambu at cisco.com>
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [nova] Compute Node restart
>
> On Apr 25, 2017 2:45 AM, "Ajay Kalambur (akalambu)" <akalambu at cisco.com>
> wrote:
>
> I see that when a host is gracefully rebooted nova-compute receives a
> lifecycle event to shutdown the instance and it updates the database with
> the state set to SHUTOFF.
> Now when compute node reboot and libvirt brings the VM back up nova checks
> its database and issues stop api and hence shuts down the VM
>
> So even though resume guest state on reboot is set it does not work. Why
> does nova compute ignore the lifecycle event from libvirt saying bring up
> the VM and reconciles with database
>

> How are you defining "graceful reboot"?
>
> I am thinking that you may be defining it in a way that implies prior safe
> shutdown of the guests including setting their state to "power off", in
> which case restoring them to the prior state before reboot will correctly
> leave them "power off". I believe this feature is only intended to work with
> a shutdown of the hypervisor such as occurs when you "shutdown -r now" on
> the hypervisor without first shutting down the guests.

It sounds like libvirt service is stopping (and stopping all the VMs)
before the nova-compute service is being stopped.

I would have expected nova-compute service to stop running before the
VMs are stopped.

Is the service order incorrect somehow? I suspect this is
package/distro specific, what are you running?

Thanks,
johnthetubaguy