[openstack-dev] [heat][ironic][tripleo] ironic resources in heat

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Thu Apr 27 10:17:32 UTC 2017

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 09:39:51AM +0300, Pavlo Shchelokovskyy wrote:
>    HI all,
>    from some conversations I had during Pike PTG and recently in IRC I
>    understood that the need for ironic resources in heat has arisen again. I
>    remember back when it was proposed for the first time there was some
>    opposition from ironic community (although I personally find it reasonable
>    to have those) but AFAIU this is no longer the case.
>    I would gladly revive old Steven Hardy patches [0] (have them starred on
>    Gerrit since then :) ) and make it happen if there are no objections.
>    I also see that the spec itself to this regard has been recently
>    re-proposed [1], so if someone is already working on those, I'm
>    volunteering to help with it with my both ironic and heat hats on :)

Feel free to revive my patches, or reuse any parts of them which may be
useful.

FWIW (as I think I mentioned in the spec review and some previous threads
on this topic), I reached the conclusion that the really interesting thing
about driving ironic via heat is not so much registering the inventory, but
driving the workflow around the various node states.

I personally thing mistral is a better fit for that, so although I'm fine
with some Ironic heat resources landing, I think it'd be great if we could
define the workflow to e.g do introspection, or deploy an image to some
node via mistral, instead of hard-coded via a heat resource.

I started that here, but never had time to finish it, any help welcome! :)

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/313048/

Also, Giulio has started working on a Heat resource that can run mistral
workflows, which could be combined with a workflow similar to the above to
deploy nodes via heat.

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/420664/

Perhaps those are some other ideas we can consider while also looking at
any heat native plugins which may be useful.

Thanks!

Steve