[openstack-dev] [Forum] Forum etherpad template and hashtags recommendation

Yih Leong, Sun. yihleong at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 21:24:33 UTC 2017

Hi,

In preparation for the OpenStack Boston Forum, the Product WG recently
discussed how to make it easier for moderators and the community to
continue discussions from the Forum an easy and consistent experience. The
team came up with a few recommendations that a lot of us felt would helpful.

Optional practices and templates:
1. Use a standard naming convention for etherpad url:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/BOS-forum-[sessionname-abc]. This will
make it is easier to locate Forum etherpads in the future.

2. Use the proposed etherpad template [1] or similar sections in your
etherpad  for the forum session. If you have not already created an
etherpad for your session, this template can be beneficial and it includes
a few commonly used sections from the past operators meetup. Just copy the
content of this template and paste it to your own etherpad. The main
purpose of the template is to provide the necessary information for
attendees (date/time/location, summary of what the session is supposed to
cover), an area to document the discussion, and a "wishlist/next steps"
section so participants can determine how to continue the relevant threads
from the Forum session after the event/session is over.

3. During the session discussion, encourage participants to use "##hashtag"
to highlight actionable items or something that need attention from a
specific project team or working group [2]. For example, if you are
discussing a feature gap in Ironic, just type ##gap ##ironic at the end of
the discussion text. This can help us to aggregate data and produce
post-forum summary reports via a script that can parse through the
etherpads and extract lines with hashtags. This is the first time we are
trying this approach (we did "pilot" this at Milan Ops Midcycle and
received good feedback) so your help and feedback would be greatly
appreciated! We will know after the Forum but our hope is that this
approach will allow easier data-mining of interesting content from the
etherpads and provide an easier way to summarize key points/discussions
after the event.

All of this is optional, but please feel free to leverage any of these
recommendations that work for you and your teams/topics.
Please be sure to add your etherpad to the list of Forum etherpads on the
wiki [3] when it's available.

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/BOS-forum-moderator-template
[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/BOS-forum-hashtag-definition
[3] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Forum/Boston2017