[openstack-dev] [all] looking for feedback on proposals to improve logging

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Apr 26 14:26:15 UTC 2017

I am looking for some feedback on two new proposals to add IDs to
log messages.

The tl;dr is that we’ve been talking about adding unique IDs to log
messages for 5 years. I myself am still not 100% convinced the idea
is useful, but I would like us to either do it or definitively say
we won't ever do it so that we can stop talking about it and consider
some other improvements to logging instead.

Based on early feedback from a small group who have been involved
in the conversations about this in the past, I have drafted new two
specs with different approaches that try to avoid the pitfalls that
blocked the earlier specs:

1. A cross-project spec to add logging message IDs in (what I hope
   is) a less onerous way than has been proposed before:
   https://review.openstack.org/460110

2. An Oslo spec to add some features to oslo.log to try to achieve the
   goals of the original proposal without having to assign message IDs:
   https://review.openstack.org/460112

To understand the full history and context, you’ll want to read the
blog post I write last week [1].  The reference lists of the specs
also point to some older specs with different proposals that have
failed to gain traction in the past.

I expect all three proposals to be up for discussion during the
logging working group session at the summit/forum, so if you have
any interest in the topic please plan to attend [2].

Thanks!
Doug

[1] https://doughellmann.com/blog/2017/04/20/lessons-learned-from-working-on-large-scale-cross-project-initiatives-in-openstack/
[2] https://www.openstack.org/summit/boston-2017/summit-schedule/events/18507/logging-working-group-working-session