[openstack-dev] [nova] Owners needed for approved but orphaned OSIC blueprints

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 21:45:58 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

With the recent unfortunate news about OSIC ending abruptly and several
Nova developers no longer being able to work on the project, I wanted to
go over the list of blueprints which were approved for Pike and which
now no longer have an owner. I am starting this thread to look for
owners for each blueprint. If you have questions about picking one up
but you're maybe too shy to ask questions about it in the mailing list,
feel free to email me directly or send me a private message in IRC. The
list is in no particular order.

*
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/live-migration-per-instance-timeout

This is not started but there is a spec with the design.

*
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/remove-discoverable-policy-rules

This is not started but is a specless blueprint that is straight-forward.

* https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/remove-nova-cert

This is not started but should be pretty straightforward, and has a spec
with the details.

* https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/ironic-rescue-mode

The nova side of this is dependent on Ironic changes which were owned by
OSIC developers. So the nova blueprint is effectively blocked now.

* https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/live-migrate-rescued-instances

This is started, and was picked up from some work started by HPE in
previous releases. I'm not sure what state it is in however.

* https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/policy-docs

Most of this is done. There might be a few more non-discoverable policy
rules that need documentation, but I haven't gone through what's left in
detail yet.

*
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/prep-for-network-aware-scheduling-pike

I'm not sure if John is going to continue trying to work on this or not
yet, but I think it would probably be good to get a helping hand here
regardless as it's stalled since Newton (really due to lack of reviews).

* https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/use-service-tokens-pike

This was started and made progress in Ocata but needs someone to take
over the remaining changes. This overlaps somewhat with
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/use-service-catalog-for-endpoints.

* https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/centralize-config-options-pike

This is an ongoing multi-contributor effort. Stephen Finucane would be a
good organizer here if no one else is interested in formally "owning" it.

*
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/live-migration-force-after-timeout

This has been started but needs work. There is also a spec for the design.

--

If you are interested in owning one of these, please reply so I and
others know, or contact me privately.

Matt