[openstack-dev] [oslo] Can we stop global requirements update?

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Apr 21 15:34:48 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Joshua Harlow's message of 2017-04-20 22:31:19 -0700:
> Doug Hellmann wrote:
> > Excerpts from gordon chung's message of 2017-04-20 17:12:26 +0000:
> >
> > I don't remember that, but I may not have been in the room at the
> > time.  In the past when we've discussed that idea, we've continued
> > to maintain that co-installability is still needed for distributors
> > who have packaging constraints that require it and for use cases
> > like single-node deployments for POCs.
>
> Ya, looking back I think it was:
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-global-requirements
>
> I think that was robert that lead that session, but I might be incorrect
> there.

That was me, though Robert was definitely present and vocal.

My memory of the outcome of that session was that we needed to maintain
co-installability; that we could continue to keep an eye on the
container space as an alternative; and that a new team of maintainers
would take over the requirements list (which was my secret agenda for
proposing that we stop doing it at all).

During the session in Barcelona (I previously said Austin, but
misremembered the location) we agreed that we could stop syncing,
as long as we maintained co-installability by ensuring that everyone's
requirements lists intersect with the upper-constraints.txt list. That
work has been started.

As far as I know, we have never said we could drop co-installability as
a requirement. We have wished we could, but have not said we can.

Doug