[openstack-dev] [ironic] ipmitool

Yuriy Zveryanskyy yzveryanskyy at mirantis.com
Fri Apr 21 09:59:13 UTC 2017

Hi.

After "ipminative" driver has been removed (I think it was right
decision), we support IPMI in ironic only via drivers which use
"ipmitool" utility.
This utility is mostly good, but main problem is that running by
ironic subprocess can be stalled on buggy/broken BMCs.
This causes situations like stop executing of sync power state
periodic task without any logging, reduce free green threads
number in the conductor service pool etc.
Administrators often have only one version of ipmitool in
repository and should build new version from source for
bug fixing.
We can implement custom executor for ipmitool with timeout
for process, but this adds more complexity to IPMI drivers,
or maybe use another solution? Maybe we should have pure
Python well tested IPMI library optimized for ironic (like sushy
for RedFish)?

Yuriy Zveryanskyy