[openstack-dev] [nova] Reflections on the pike-1 milestone

Maish Saidel-Keesing maishsk at maishsk.com
Thu Apr 20 07:01:26 UTC 2017

On 20/04/17 0:42, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Now that the pike-1 milestone is behind us I wanted to have a recap of
> the milestone to compare what progress we made against goals we set at
> the PTG, and to look forward to the pike-2 milestone.
>
> First some highlights of things accomplished in the pike-1 milestone
> in no particular order:
>
> - Jay Pipes got the Ironic virt driver reporting custom resource
> classes into the Placement service for compute node inventory.
> - There is good progress on the os-traits library and Alex Xu got the
> /traits API merged into the placement endpoint.
> - Sean Dague got high-level agreement on unifying limits in Keystone
> which is a foundation for supporting hierarchical quotas.
> - We merged the spec and plan for integrating Searchlight into
> nova-api. At this point that's all just spec, but it was a pretty
> complicated spec to work through and we have a plan going into pike-2.
> - Sean Dague got uwsgi working in devstack now and Chris Dent is
> working on making nova-api run under uwsgi per the Pike community goal.
> - Dan Smith has made good progress on enabling multi-cell support in
> the REST API and getting devstack to run and pass tests with a fleet
> of conductors. We'll be discussing this at the Forum [1].
> - We merged Ildiko Vancsa's patch to remove the check_attach code from
> Nova, and we merged John Garbutt's spec for integrating the new Cinder
> attachment APIs into Nova. Progress has been made on the code for
> using the new APIs too.
> - Chris Dent has been sending weekly emails giving updates on the work
> going on with placement, and Balazs Gibizer has been doing similar for
> the versioned notifications work. This has been helpful for keeping
> focus, recording decisions, and giving those outside the day-to-day
> involvement an idea of the progress made and where they can help.
> - Good progress from the OSIC team on documenting the various policy
> rules [2].
> - We have 62 blueprints/specs approved, 3 completed, and several with
> code up for review.

Just as a matter of interest - from the numbers above you say 62
blueprints approved - was this only for this cycle - or *up until* this
cycle.

When you mention several up for review - can you elaborate on exact
numbers?

I am not looking to 'monitor' activity - but for me it would be
interesting to understand - what the workload is actually like. If the
ratio of 'incoming work' (blueprints) vs. completed/in-review is 62:3
then to me - this seems to be something that needs to be addressed.

Or am I misunderstanding the comment above?

--
Best Regards,
Maish Saidel-Keesing