[openstack-dev] [qa][cinder] critical fix for ceph job

Ghanshyam Mann ghanshyammann at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 06:28:52 UTC 2017

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 4:05 AM, Jon Bernard <jobernar at redhat.com> wrote:
> * Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 4/7/2017 9:43 AM, Jordan Pittier wrote:
>> >

>> > On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 4:15 PM, Ghanshyam Mann <ghanshyammann at gmail.com
>> > <mailto:ghanshyammann at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> >
>> >     Thanks. I am not sure these kind of driver specific behavior on APIs
>> >     side. This bring up question that should not cinder APIs be consistent
>> >     from usage point. In this case[1], create backup API can accept
>> >     'container' param and do/don't create pool as per configured driver?
>> >     Then have better documentation for that what all driver honor that or
>> >     not.
>> >
>> >     Any suggestion ?
>> >
>> >     ..1 https://review.openstack.org/#/c/454321/3
>> >     <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/454321/3>
>> >

>> > Yeah, I've left a comment on that review. And another comment on
>> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/454722 :
>> >
>> > "I'd rather we revert the change completely than to see this merged.
>> >
>> > If the Ceph backup driver doesn't support the container argument it
>> > should either grow support for it, or ignore that argument, or we change
>> > Cinder's API completely so that the container argument is not part of
>> > the public API anymore.
>> >
>> > Do we expect each and every user to know what each and every drivers
>> > support ? I don"t think so, so Tempest shouldn"t either."

>> I left a comment in there too. This wasn't the right way to get around this.
>> I've tried the same thing before, back when the encrypted volume tests were
>> failing for ceph because it simply wasn't supported in nova.
>>
>> Jon, as we discussed at the PTG, you need to get a whitelist or blacklist
>> file into nova like we have for the cells v1 job and we can use that on the
>> ceph job config to control the tests that are run, so we don't need to make
>> changes like this in Tempest. Let's work on that and then we can revert this
>> workaround to Tempest.
>
> Ok, I understand the logic and I'm happy work towards this.  For
> reference, this commit https://review.openstack.org/#/c/345411/ added
> support for container names to the ceph backup driver and I think a
> discussion within Cinder is needed.  I will first create an analogous
> patch for nova's whitelist, and then revert this one.  And if we decide
> to change cinder's behaviour then all of it can go away.

Thanks Jon.

I feel whitelist/blacklist should be maintain on devstack-plugin-ceph
side instead of Nova. This job is used on Nova, Cinder, Glance,
Tempest, devstack.

Maintain on  openstack/devstack-plugin-ceph is much better as plugin
knows what all test to disable/enable.

Also infra patche[1] landed before the script was merged which removed
the mandatory arg ''--regex'' while running the tempest tox command.
Results to ceph job failing everywhere.  I am reverting[2] that change
and once we are ready with whitelst/blcklist script then we can change
job definition accordingly.

..1 https://review.openstack.org/#/c/455818
..2 https://review.openstack.org/#/c/458349/