[openstack-dev] [Taskflow] Current state or the project ?

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Wed Apr 19 19:01:19 UTC 2017

Robin De-Lillo wrote:
> Hello Guys,
>
> I'm Robin a Software developer for a VFX company based in Canada. As the
> company grow up, we are currently looking into redesigning our internal
> processes and workflows in a more nodal/graph based approach.
>
> Ideally we would like to start from an existing library so we don't
> re-implement things from scratch. We found out TaskFlow which, after a
> couple of tests, looks very promising to us. Good work with that !!
>
> We were wondering what is the current state of this project ? Is that
> still something under active development or a priority for OpenStack ?
> As we would definitely be happy to contribute to this library in the
> future, we are just gathering information around for now to ensure we
> pick up the best solution which suit our needs.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Robin De Lillo

Hi there!

So what you describe seems like a good fit for taskflow, since its
engine concept is really based on the key concept of 'nodal/graph based
approach.' (ie the engine[1] really is just a bunch of code around graph
traversal in various orders depending on task execution, using the
futures concept/paradigm, and results and such).

Any way we can get more details on what you might want to be doing. That
might help further distill if it's a good fit or not. If you can't say
that's ok to (depends on the project/company and all that).

So about the current state.

It's still alive, development has slowed a little (in that I haven't
been active as much after I moved to godaddy, where I'm helping revamp
some of there deployment, automation... and operational aspects of
openstack itself); but it still IMHO gets fixes and I'm more than
willing and able to help folks out in learning some stuff. So I wouldn't
say super-active, but ongoing as needed (which I think is somewhat
common for more of oslo than I would like to admit); though don't take
that negatively :)

Others (with a slightly less bias than I might have, haha) though I
think should chime in on there experiences :)

The question around 'priority for OpenStack', that's a tough one,
because I think the priorities of OpenStack are sort of end-user /
deployer/operator ... defined, so it's slightly hard to identify what
they are (besides 'make OpenStack great again', lol).

What other solutions are you thinking of/looking at/considering?

Typically what I've seen are celery, RQ (redis) and probably a few
others that I listed once @
https://docs.openstack.org/developer/taskflow/shelf.html#libraries-frameworks
(all of these share similar 'aspects' as taskflow, to some degree).

That's my 3 cents ;)

-Josh

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/developer/taskflow/engines.html