[openstack-dev] [kolla] Tags, revisions, dockerhub

Michał Jastrzębski inc007 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 15:32:37 UTC 2017

I think LABEL is great idea for all the "informative" stuff. In fact
if we could somehow abuse LABEL to fill it up after we get packages
installed, we could use it for version manifesto. That will make logic
around "if version changed" much easier since we'll have easy access
to this information on both image and container.

Our autopushing mechanism will work with tags and HEAD of stable
branch in this case.

Kevin, then your use case would be done like that:
1. pull container nova-compute:ocata, tag it locally to
nova-compute:ocata-deployed, deploy it
2. every now and then pull fresh nova-compute:ocata from dockerhub
3. compare versions in LABELs to see whether you want to upgrade or not
4. if you do, retag :ocata-deployed to :ocata-old, :ocata to
:ocata-deployed and run upgrade
5. keep ocata-old, revision it, backup it for as long as you want

I also think that we can ship utils to do this in kolla, so people
won't need to write these themselves.

Does that work?

Cheers,
Michal