[openstack-dev] [tripleo] pingtest vs tempest

Luigi Toscano ltoscano at redhat.com
Tue Apr 18 10:04:27 UTC 2017

On Monday, 17 April 2017 18:28:24 CEST Ben Nemec wrote:
> On 04/17/2017 10:51 AM, Emilien Macchi wrote:
> > We haven't got much feedback from TripleO core reviewers, who are
> > usually more involved on this topic. I'll give a chance to let them
> > talk because we take some actions based on the feedback brought in
> > this discussion.
>
> I started to write a response last week and realized I didn't have a
> coherent recommendation, but here are my semi-organized thoughts:
>
> The pingtest was created for two main reasons.  First, it's fast.  Less
> than three minutes in most CI jobs.  Second, it's simple.  We've added a
> bunch of stuff for resource cleanup and such, but in essence it's four
> commands: glance image-create, neutron net-create, neutron
> subnet-create, and heat stack-create.  It would be hard to come up with
> a useful test that is meaningfully simpler.
>
> Tempest isn't really either of those things.  According to another
> message in this thread it takes around 15 minutes to run just the smoke
> tests.  That's unacceptable for a lot of our CI jobs.  It also tends to
> require a lot more configuration in my experience.

I think that you are talking about the "full set of Tempest tests here". My
point it is possible to have a test which has the exact same semantic as the
current ping test, but written using tempest.lib and relying on the other
tooling from Tempest to run it (tempest run/ostestr).

With that in place, it would trivial to decide whether to run just that test
or run other tests in other jobs (it would be a matter of a simple regexp) and
it would simplify the code in other tools like tripleo-quickstart (no need to
keep the preparation phase for two runners: validation and tempest).

Ciao
--
Luigi