[openstack-dev] [Tacker][OSC] Command naming specs

Sridhar Ramaswamy srics.r at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 23:46:11 UTC 2017

Hi Jay,

See inline ...

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 12:25 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/12/2017 03:08 AM, Trinath Somanchi wrote:
>
>> Hi OSC team-
>>
>> While  implementing tacker-cli commands as OSC plugins [1], We are
>> struck in command naming specifications.
>>
>> Tacker being NFVO+VNFM - an NFV component, we have taken ‘nfv’ as the
>> prefix.
>>

> It's not *all* of NFV, though.

I agree 'nfv' is an umbrella term and it has significance for other
projects as well (like nova).

> This problem, by the way, is an indication that Tacker might have too big
> a scope...and a scope that is very much tailored/purpose-built for
> Telcos/NFV. But whatever, I raised this concern during the project
> application as a member of the TC and folks ignored me, so it is what it is
> I guess.

Will stay away from this as we have thrashed this 'scope' question enough
in the TC discussions :)

However, one thing we are forcing ourselves is not use the 'network' as
initial keyword as it clearly belongs in the realm of neutron and its
associated features. What we are looking for is a term like "stack" that
indicates Orchestration (via Heat project) that we slide under.

> We were struck in naming the below commands while aligning with the OSC
>> naming specs.
>>
>> For the below commands, for readability, we have added ‘-‘ within the
>> command names.
>>
>> Like,
>>
>>           network-service,  vnf-forwarding-graph, service-function-chain,
>>
>>     network-flow-classifier, network-forwarding-path.
>>

> I think what Dean and Akihiro were suggesting is to use "vnf" as the first
> "word" in the command list and then use space-delimited commands like so:
>
> openstack vnf network service create
>
> Or just leave off the "network" above, because, well, Tacker doesn't
> create any other type of service..., so:
>
> openstack vnf service create

I like this suggestion. Keyword 'vnf' is the closest to the unit of things
orchestrated by Tacker. Building on that we can have,

openstack vnf create - *create a single VNF based on TOSCA template*
openstack vnf service create - *create a service using a collection of VNFs*
openstack vnf graph create - *create a forwarding graph using a collection
of VNFs*

> and then
>
> openstack vnf forwardinggraph create
>
> and
>
> openstack vnf service function chain create
>
> but then, you'll hit on the obvious overlap with networking-sfc, which
> will bring in the obvious question of "what's the difference between
> Tacker's SFC and networking-sfc's SFC?" which again should lead folks to
> question the scope of Tacker in relation to other OpenStack projects...

It is not an overlap per-se, it is more at a different abstraction level.
The later is a general purpose, lower-level SFC API based on neutron ports.
Former is a higher level YAML (TOSCA) template based description of a SFC
specially geared for NFV use-cases - implemented using the lower-level
networking-sfc APIs. It is analogous to Heat OS::Nova::Server <-> Nova
Compute APIs.

- Sridhar