[openstack-dev] [tc] [elections] Available time and top priority

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Mon Apr 17 23:36:20 UTC 2017

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 4:40 PM, Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/10/2017 2:55 PM, Dean Troyer wrote:
>>

>> The TC meetings are held in IRC and that may somewhat mitigate the
>> issue for non-native English speakers, but I've had problems myself
>> keeping up at times with the flurry of comments.  In any case, I think
>> it would be good to include language in the pile of concerns over
>> world-wide participation
>

> I don't attend many TC meetings, it's usually on accident, but yeah, when I
> do I always note the flurry of cross-talk chatter that just drowns
> everything out. I feel like there are usually at least 3 parallel
> conversations going on during a TC meeting and it's pretty frustrating to
> follow along, or get a thought in the mix. That has to be much worse for a
> non-native English speaker.

It is worse and one of the reasons why non-native or not-so-fluent
English speakers have hard time to interact during this meeting.

> So yeah, slow down folks. :)
>
> I'm not advocating splitting the meetings though. It's possible to have your
> cake and eat it to if done properly. For example, Alex Xu runs the Nova API
> subteam meeting and we have people from China, India, Japan, UK and USA and
> get through it fine, but it does involve slowing down to get an
> acknowledgement from people that they are OK with any decisions being made.

I'm personaly not in favor of taking decisions during the TC meeting
for the reasons you just mentioned: timezone & parallel discussions...
I would be in favor of pushing more in async rather than expecting a
lot from this meeting.

> This might also tie back in with what cdent was mentioning, and if the
> flurry of conversation during a TC meeting throws people off, maybe the
> minutes should be digested after the meeting in the mailing list. I know the
> meeting is logged, but it can be hard to read through that without one's
> eyes glazing over due to the cross-talk and locker-room towel whipping going
> on.
>
> --
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt