[openstack-dev] [qa][gate] tempest slow - where do we execute them in gate?

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Mon Apr 17 19:15:03 UTC 2017

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 11:55:28AM -0700, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 9:35 AM, Jordan Pittier
> <jordan.pittier at scality.com> wrote:
> > We don"t run slow tests because the QA team think that they don't bring
> > enough value to be executed, every time and everywhere. The idea is that if
> > some specific slow tests are of some interest to some specific openstack
> > projects, those projects can change the config of their jobs to enable these
> > tests.
>

> But since it's not executed anywhere in tempest gate, even as
> non-voting (?), it's effectively dead code that may be long broken
> without anyone knowing. Of course there are consumers of the tests
> downstream, but for those consumers it's a tough call to start
> depending on the tests if they are not sanity checked by tempest
> itself. Wouldn't it make sense to have some job in tempest gate that
> would execute those tests (maybe just them to speed up such a job?
> maybe non-voting? maybe even as periodic? but there should be
> something that keeps it green in long run).

In theory those tests are already supposed to be run as a periodic/experimental
job. The periodic-tempest-dsvm-all-master is setup to run all tests, including
those tagged as slow. However, the job has been broken for some time, I didn't
even notice until I looked just now. (openstack-health didn't show it because
it fails before subunit is generated) I'll pushed:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/457334/

to fix the job. Once that lands lets see how far things have bitrotted in there.

-Matt Treinish