[openstack-dev] [api-wg] Question about 'OpenStack-API-Version' header

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Mon Apr 17 09:22:16 UTC 2017

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017, Qiming Teng wrote:

> According to the microversion specification [1], the
> 'OpenStack-API-Version' header is optional. When it is omitted, the
> server should act as if the minimum supported version was specified.

That's correct.

> Recently, we have received some complaints from users that for new APIs
> added, we should state that the header is required. The new APIs are
> valid only after a specific microversion. If the 'OpenStack-APi-Version'
> header is missing, our server returns a 404 resource not found error.
> It is confusing.

There's a bit of a circle here. If you're using microversions and you
add a new feature at, for example, version 2.24 then yes, you must
include the header with a microversion of 2.24 or beyond in order to
use that feature. This is aligned with the "opt-in" nature of
microversions and changes to the service.

If the new microversion is adding a new URL, then a 404 response is
correct when that microversion has not been selected.

So, yes, it is the case that when adding a new URL to a service that
is already supporting microversions, the header is required. That's
pretty much how microversions work and the service documentation
should indicate that.

Is there a different workflow that you (or the people complaining)
have in mind that could work better? Is there something that could
or should be clarified to make this more clear?

--
Chris Dent                 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯           https://anticdent.org/