[openstack-dev] [Tacker][OSC] Command naming specs

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 19:25:04 UTC 2017

On 04/12/2017 03:08 AM, Trinath Somanchi wrote:
> Hi OSC team-
>
> While  implementing tacker-cli commands as OSC plugins [1], We are
> struck in command naming specifications.
>
> Tacker being NFVO+VNFM - an NFV component, we have taken ‘nfv’ as the
> prefix.

It's not *all* of NFV, though.

This problem, by the way, is an indication that Tacker might have too
big a scope...and a scope that is very much tailored/purpose-built for
Telcos/NFV. But whatever, I raised this concern during the project
application as a member of the TC and folks ignored me, so it is what it
is I guess.

> We were struck in naming the below commands while aligning with the OSC
> naming specs.
>
> For the below commands, for readability, we have added ‘-‘ within the
> command names.
>
> Like,
>
>           network-service,  vnf-forwarding-graph, service-function-chain,
>
>     network-flow-classifier, network-forwarding-path.

I think what Dean and Akihiro were suggesting is to use "vnf" as the
first "word" in the command list and then use space-delimited commands
like so:

openstack vnf network service create

Or just leave off the "network" above, because, well, Tacker doesn't
create any other type of service..., so:

openstack vnf service create

and then

openstack vnf forwardinggraph create

and

openstack vnf service function chain create

but then, you'll hit on the obvious overlap with networking-sfc, which
will bring in the obvious question of "what's the difference between
Tacker's SFC and networking-sfc's SFC?" which again should lead folks to
question the scope of Tacker in relation to other OpenStack projects...

Best,
-jay