[openstack-dev] [nova][deployment] FYI: changes to cells v2 setup guide (pike only)

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 15:45:12 UTC 2017

Nova is working on adding multi-cell aware support to the compute API. A
side effect of this is we can now have a chicken-and-egg situation
during deployment such that if your tooling is depending on the compute
API to list compute hosts, for example, before running the
discover_hosts command, nothing will actually show up. This is because
to list compute hosts, like using 'nova hypervisor-list', we get those
from the cells now and until you run discover_hosts, they aren't mapped
to a cell.

The solution is to use "nova service-list --binary nova-compute" instead
of "nova hypervisor-list" since we can pull services from all cells
before the hosts are mapped using discover_hosts.

I have a patch up to update our docs and add a release note:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/456923/

I'll be updating the official install guide docs later.

Note that this is master branch (Pike) only, this does not impact Ocata.

Matt