[openstack-dev] [tc][elections]questions about one platform vision

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Apr 13 12:55:46 UTC 2017

Excerpts from joehuang's message of 2017-04-13 00:47:53 +0000:
>  Interesting to know the idea considering OpenStack as group of constellations. Does it mean even
> Nova/Cinder/Neutron are not necessary to be tied together in some user cases?

To me, the important aspect of calling OpenStack "one thing"
(platform, product, toolbox, whatever) has always been that when
used together the components appear cohesive. They have similar
APIs, similar deployment patterns, etc. There are obviously going
to be some underlying differences because a block storage service
is not a VM manager -- they provide different features and need
different inputs.  But the differences should not be surprising or
arbitrary (returning different payloads from the "version" API, to
take an example from another recent thread). It should look like
the teams producing the different components like each other and
get together in person regularly to collaborate.

If we have that, then it doesn't matter so much whether every
deployer installs every single component, or only the ones they
need for their use cases.

Doug