[openstack-dev] [kolla] Tags, revisions, dockerhub

Michał Jastrzębski inc007 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 22:59:34 UTC 2017

My dear Kollegues,

Today we had discussion about how to properly name/tag images being
pushed to dockerhub. That moved towards general discussion on revision
mgmt.

Problem we're trying to solve is this:
If you build/push images today, your tag is 4.0
if you do it tomorrow, it's still 4.0, and will keep being 4.0 until
we tag new release.

But image built today is not equal to image built tomorrow, so we
would like something like 4.0.0-1, 4.0.0-2.
While we can reasonably detect history of revisions in dockerhub,
local env will be extremely hard to do.

I'd like to ask you for opinions on desired behavior and how we want
to deal with revision management in general.

Cheers,
Michal