[openstack-dev] [shade] help wanted - tons to do, not enough people

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Apr 12 18:15:09 UTC 2017

On 04/12/2017 01:38 PM, Monty Taylor wrote:
> On 04/12/2017 11:21 AM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
>> Just a question, not meant as anything bad against shade,
>>
>> But would effort be better spent on openstacksdk?
>
> tl;dr - great in practice, falls apart in the details
>
> I don't think so - but it was an original thought, so it's certainly a
> reasonable question.
>
> openstacksdk is an SDK exposing the OpenStack APIs. It does not hide
> differences between APIs, nor abstract into different concepts. shade
> does. So I think they have different audiences and different intends in
> mind.
>
>> Take the good parts of shade and just move it to openstacksdk, perhaps
>> as a 'higher level api' available in openstacksdk?
>>
>> Then ansible openstack components (which I believe use shade) could then
>> switch to openstacksdk and all will be merry...
>
> The thing is - for shade's needs, openstacksdk is both too much and not
> enough simultaneously. (this is not intended to be a dig against sdk -
> their goal in life is not to be a rest layer for shade, it's to be an
> SDK for the OpenStack APIs)
>
> To handle nodepool scale, shade needs to do some really specific things
> related to exactly when and how remote interactions happen. In services
> of its users, openstacksdk hides those interactions - which I think is a
> nice feature for its users, but unfortunately removes shade's ability to
> control those interactions in the way it needs to.
>
> At the same time, the object model wrapper with magic generators and
> whatnot doesn't add much value to shade past "get('/servers').json()" to
> be quite honest.
>
> So - I think handling our needs would be very annoying to the SDK folks,
> and it would just unnecessarily make things complex for both sides.
>
> In any case, like I said, it's a completely fair and legit question -
> but as of right now I don't think it would actually make anyone's lives
> better.

Just to provide a different though related perspective.

This is what success looks like. Lots of different people writing
different stuff, in different ways, talking to your API (which is the
REST API, not a library). Everyone implementing the slices that are
important for their consumers, and providing the fidelity that their
consumers need.

We should never think this is a bad thing.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net