[openstack-dev] [tc][elections]questions about one platform vision

German Eichberger German.Eichberger at rackspace.com
Wed Apr 12 13:56:58 UTC 2017

Hi,

Though I haven’t attended the operator summit in person a them which has been mentioned to me is that we need to offer better reference architectures. I use the plural here on purpose because I don’t think there will be one architecture/combination of projects which works for everybody. As a community (and the TC can help) we should write up guides for reference architectures for containers, vms, and bare metal. But we  don’t need to offer just one project – there are a couple of ways to get there and we should offer choice. But we owe it to the operators that we have tested whatever we write up at some scale.

The second meaning for a “one platform” vision would be a unified API for Containers, VMs, and bare metal. I have talked to several people who would like to write software which doesn’t need to distinguish between different APIs to accomplish that. But I still feel that we should adhere to the Unix philosophy and make the best API for each technology and then have the orchestration platform or higher level abstractions (e.g. cloud native) worry about it.

This leads me to one of my gripes with the way we work. We sort of accepted that it is the projects responsibility to write tests and documentation but when it comes who is writing the Heat integration, the Open Stack Ansible part, or the Gophercloud part – things get real murky. I don’t iike to add another burden to some of the small projects but we also need to figure out a way that those things are current and compete. I am hoping that having reference architectures can guide us in this regard and I think we need to add more visibility what those solution supports and where the gaps are.

Thanks,
German