[openstack-dev] [tc][elections]questions about one platform vision

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Wed Apr 12 11:20:59 UTC 2017

On 12 April 2017 at 12:04, Davanum Srinivas <davanum at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 6:51 AM, John Garbutt <john at johngarbutt.com> wrote:
>> On 12 April 2017 at 03:54, joehuang <joehuang at huawei.com> wrote:
>>> What's the one platform will be in your own words? What's your proposal and
>>> your focus to help one platform vision being achieved?
>>
>> The more I think about this, the less I like the phrase "one platform".
>>
>> I like to think of OpenStack as group of constellations. Those
>> constellations are groups of projects that are built to be used
>> together around a shared set of use cases and users. Note that many
>> (all?) of those constellations involve open source projects that were
>> born and live outside of OpenStack.
>
> +1 for us to publish sets of projects that work together for specific
> scenarios. I heard this idea first from Allison Randall and it
> immediately struck a chord. To be fair folks like Jay Pipes have
> always said (paraphrasing) "OpenStack is a toolbox". So it's the next
> step i guess. Lauren Sell was mentioning yesterday about hearing
> confusion around "Big Tent", i do feel that when we put forth a set of
> constellations we can start deprecating the "Big Tent" terminology if
> appropriate.

Right, I have tools for hanging pictures, and tools for putting
together flat pack furniture. They all live in my tool box, and it
turns out I use the hammer for almost everything. (I don't generally
use the hammer when repairing my Tuba, and my wife prefers those
sticky hook things for hanging up pictures, but thats all fine) ... I
maybe stretched that a bit :)

Thanks,
johnthetubaguy