[openstack-dev] [tc][elections]questions about one platform vision

Davanum Srinivas davanum at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 11:04:59 UTC 2017

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 6:51 AM, John Garbutt <john at johngarbutt.com> wrote:
> On 12 April 2017 at 03:54, joehuang <joehuang at huawei.com> wrote:
>> What's the one platform will be in your own words? What's your proposal and
>> your focus to help one platform vision being achieved?
>
> The more I think about this, the less I like the phrase "one platform".
>
> I like to think of OpenStack as group of constellations. Those
> constellations are groups of projects that are built to be used
> together around a shared set of use cases and users. Note that many
> (all?) of those constellations involve open source projects that were
> born and live outside of OpenStack.

+1 for us to publish sets of projects that work together for specific
scenarios. I heard this idea first from Allison Randall and it
immediately struck a chord. To be fair folks like Jay Pipes have
always said (paraphrasing) "OpenStack is a toolbox". So it's the next
step i guess. Lauren Sell was mentioning yesterday about hearing
confusion around "Big Tent", i do feel that when we put forth a set of
constellations we can start deprecating the "Big Tent" terminology if
appropriate.