[openstack-dev] [tc][elections]questions about one platform vision

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Wed Apr 12 10:51:03 UTC 2017

On 12 April 2017 at 03:54, joehuang <joehuang at huawei.com> wrote:
> What's the one platform will be in your own words? What's your proposal and
> your focus to help one platform vision being achieved?

The more I think about this, the less I like the phrase "one platform".

I like to think of OpenStack as group of constellations. Those
constellations are groups of projects that are built to be used
together around a shared set of use cases and users. Note that many
(all?) of those constellations involve open source projects that were
born and live outside of OpenStack.

I am trying to kick start the "VM and baremetal" working group to get
feedback on a specific constellation as a group of projects. Here I am
thinking about running Nova, Cinder, Neutron, Keystone, etc to give
you (in some sense) a Software Defined Data Center. Many applications
and services need to consume and integrate with that platform, like
Heat, Trove and Magnum, to can get access to the compute, networking
and storage they need to execute their workloads, such as containers.
Its like the next generation of consolidation to get to the next level
of utilization/efficiency. If you look at this constellation the
database and message queue are important non-OpenStack components of
the constellation. Maybe this is a false constellation, and there is a
different set of things that people use together. Thats some of the
feedback I hope we get at the forum.

The work ttx mentions is important. I hope the project maps will help
communicate how users can meet their needs by running various
combinations of OpenStack and non-OpenStack projects together.

To be clear, I am not claiming to have the answers here, this is just
my current thinking. I look forward to all the debate and discussions
around this topic, and all the interesting things I will learn about
along that journey, things that will likely make me change my mind.

Thanks,
johnthetubaguy