[openstack-dev] [qa][nova][defcore] Removal of Compute Baremetal GET nodes tests from Tempest

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 18:24:39 UTC 2017

On 4/11/2017 4:29 AM, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> There is tempest tests for compute baremetal GET nodes tests[1]. This
> tests involve ironic and nova. Ironic to create baremetal nodes and
> then GET nodes using nova APIs.
> Nova only provides GET APIs for baremetal nodes which are already
> deprecated [2].
>
> As nova baremetal APIs are deprecated and test needs Ironic to be
> present and so ironic baremetal service client,  we propose to remove
> this test from tempest[3]. We have coverage of that feature/API in
> ironic tempest plugin for node GET/POST and nova API in nova
> functional tests[4].
>
> I have been objecting this in past but now I feel its not worth to
> test this in Tempest due to its complexity of Ironic requirement.
> This is part of tempest tests removal standard, feel free to let us
> know in case of any objection.
>

> ..1 https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/tempest/tree/tempest/api/compute/admin/test_baremetal_nodes.py
> ..2 https://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/compute/#bare-metal-nodes-os-baremetal-nodes-deprecated
> ..3 https://review.openstack.org/#/c/449158/
> ..4 http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/nova/tree/nova/tests/functional/api_sample_tests/test_baremetal_nodes.py
>
> -gmann

+1 on anything that relies on deprecated proxy APIs in the compute endpoint.

I'm not entirely sure what the defcore process is for this though, i.e.
if these are already part of the interop guidelines, then I'd think the
deprecated proxy APIs need to be dropped from the guidelines in the next
revision and then you could drop them from Tempest - but what does that
mean for the older defcore / refstack guidelines? Are clouds/products
just tested against the latest? Or can refstack pin to tagged versions
of Tempest for older guidelines?

Probably need to talk with Chris Hoge about this.

Matt