[openstack-dev] [heat] New resource implementation workflow

Pavlo Shchelokovskyy pshchelokovskyy at mirantis.com
Tue Apr 11 13:27:22 UTC 2017

Hi Norbert,

my biggest concern with the workflow you've shown is that in the meantime
it would be possible to create undeletable stacks / stacks that leave
resources behind after being deleted. As the biggest challenge is usually
in updates (if it is not UpdateReplace) I'd suggest implementing create and
delete together. To ease development you could start with only basic
properties for the resource if it is possible to figure out their set (with
some sane defaults if those are absent in API) and add more tunable
resource properties later.

I also remember that Heat has smth like 'hidden' in resource plugin
declaration. Usually it is used to hide deprecated resource types so that
new stacks with those can not be created but old ones can be at least
deleted. May be you could use that flag while developing until you think
that resource is already usable, although it might complicate your own
testing of those resources.

Cheers,

Dr. Pavlo Shchelokovskyy
Senior Software Engineer