[openstack-dev] [tc] [elections] Available time and top priority

Amrith Kumar amrith.kumar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 21:44:21 UTC 2017

[Amrith Kumar] A huge +1000 to that. I have found it very hard to follow the conversations of the TC and some months back (may be over a year back) there was a meeting where someone had to explicitly ask for people to stop the wisecracking. Just unwinding the multiple conversations from last week's meeting where I was trying to have parallel conversations with several people on a proposal I had before the meeting was very challenging. The challenge this must face for people who don't natively think in English is something I can hardly imagine.

It may not be a bad idea to have TC meetings be moderated and where people who wish to speak must be recognized and the floor yielded to them. It will be different, but I think it can work.

> I'm not advocating splitting the meetings though. It's possible to have your
> cake and eat it to if done properly. For example, Alex Xu runs the Nova API
> subteam meeting and we have people from China, India, Japan, UK and USA and
> get through it fine, but it does involve slowing down to get an
> acknowledgement from people that they are OK with any decisions being made.

[Amrith Kumar] I think the answer lies more in having the discussions in mail, on the mailing list and reserving the TC meeting for the actual vote. By framing the meeting more as a procedural mechanism, one can even allow for offline voting and then the time of the meeting becomes less important.

To be truly welcoming of a distributed community, I think this approach would be way better.

> This might also tie back in with what cdent was mentioning, and if the flurry
> of conversation during a TC meeting throws people off, maybe the minutes
> should be digested after the meeting in the mailing list. I know the meeting
> is logged, but it can be hard to read through that without one's eyes glazing
> over due to the cross-talk and locker-room towel whipping going on.
>
> --
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

Amrith Kumar