[openstack-dev] [tc] [elections] Available time and top priority

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 20:40:30 UTC 2017

On 4/10/2017 2:55 PM, Dean Troyer wrote:

> The TC meetings are held in IRC and that may somewhat mitigate the
> issue for non-native English speakers, but I've had problems myself
> keeping up at times with the flurry of comments.  In any case, I think
> it would be good to include language in the pile of concerns over
> world-wide participation

I don't attend many TC meetings, it's usually on accident, but yeah,
when I do I always note the flurry of cross-talk chatter that just
drowns everything out. I feel like there are usually at least 3 parallel
conversations going on during a TC meeting and it's pretty frustrating
to follow along, or get a thought in the mix. That has to be much worse
for a non-native English speaker.

So yeah, slow down folks. :)

I'm not advocating splitting the meetings though. It's possible to have
your cake and eat it to if done properly. For example, Alex Xu runs the
Nova API subteam meeting and we have people from China, India, Japan, UK
and USA and get through it fine, but it does involve slowing down to get
an acknowledgement from people that they are OK with any decisions being
made.

This might also tie back in with what cdent was mentioning, and if the
flurry of conversation during a TC meeting throws people off, maybe the
minutes should be digested after the meeting in the mailing list. I know
the meeting is logged, but it can be hard to read through that without
one's eyes glazing over due to the cross-talk and locker-room towel
whipping going on.

Matt