[openstack-dev] [horizon][nova][tc] nova-network deprecation in horizon

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 18:51:30 UTC 2017

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 10:19 AM, Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:
> How long are we expected to be carrying this deprecated bridge code? If you
> need these CLIs/API bindings in the client, then don't upgrade to 8.0.0, or
> run different versions of novaclient in venvs or containers if you need to
> really workaround this.

Oh how I wish this were as easy in practice as it sounds.

> I feel like the signaling on all of this was pretty clear back in Newton.
> What else are people expecting or that we missed? I don't really see why
> python-openstackclient needs to start adding this API binding code back in
> locally, that's just extending the lifespan of this busted code that we're
> really trying to make uncomfortable for people to be using because like it
> or not, nova-network is going away. We did the fallback thing in the CLI in
> newton as a way to soften that blow for CLI users, but really at some point
> this just needs to be broken and people either stay on old tools or upgrade
> to what is supported.

Matt, I am not questioning the signalling nor the actual removal, that
is the right thing for novaclient at some point.  I did miss the early
indications of the timing of 8.0, only seeing it two weeks before the
release, but that is on me.

The fact that this causes us problems is not your problem, but
highlights why OSC and Shade and other things really do not want to
use the project clients because the use cases and assumptions and
other things are different.  I started 3 years ago to start replacing
those things, the SDK came long to replace that work but is still not
at a 1.0 release.  So I'm playing catch-up.

Upgrading old nova-net clouds has been deemed impossible, which is why
we don't do it.  But you might be unhappy about the removal of py27
from distros just yet, as not all of OpenStack is py3 ready.  We
should just upgrade all that code...

dt

--

Dean Troyer