[openstack-dev] [tc] [elections] Available time and top priority

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Mon Apr 10 18:26:17 UTC 2017

On Apr 10, 2017, at 4:16 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

> So my question is the following: if elected, how much time do you think
> you'll be able to dedicate to Technical Committee affairs (reviewing
> proposed changes and pushing your own) ?

Well, as you know I have been active with the TC for years now, even though I've never been elected to a position on the TC. Since so many of the issues that the TC deals with are important to OpenStack's future, I like to contribute to bettering that wherever I can. So if elected to serve on the TC, I would be able to focus even more of my time, going from maybe 5-10% now, to 50% if elected.

> If there was ONE thing, one
> initiative, one change you will actively push in the six months between
> this election round and the next, what would it be ?

Just one? If I had to choose, I would like to see a clear separation between the core services that provide IaaS, and the products that then build on that core. They occupy very different places in the OpenStack picture, and should be treated differently. The IaaS parts (and yes, I know that just which parts these are is a whole debate in itself) should be rock-solid, slow-moving, and, well, boring. Reliability is the key for them. But for the services and applications that are built on top of this base? I'd like to see allowing them a much more open approach: let them develop in whatever language they like, release when they feel the timing is right, and define their own CI testing. In other words, if you want to develop in a language other than Python, go for it! If you want to use a particular NoSQL database, sure thing! However, the price of that freedom is that the burden will be on the project to ensure that it is adequately tested, instead of laying that responsibility on our infra team. Such projects will also have to accept a tag such as 'experimental' or 'untested' until they can demonstrate otherwise. This can also serve to encourage the development of additional testing resources around, say, Golang projects, so that the Golang community can all pitch in and develop the sort of infrastructure needed to adequately test their products, both alone and in conjunction with the IaaS core of OpenStack. The only thing that should be absolute is a project's commitment to the Four Opens. There will be winners, and there will be losers, and that's not only OK, it's how it should be.

-- Ed Leafe