[openstack-dev] [horizon][nova][tc] nova-network deprecation in horizon

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Mon Apr 10 15:37:15 UTC 2017

On 04/10/2017 09:19 AM, Dean Troyer wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 8:58 AM, Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com> wrote:
>> (question not directly related to this topic)
>> I am not sure there is a case where users still use API 2.36 for
>> network management
>> and newer API versions for other compute operation.
>
> This is probably true for Horizon, where the app install likely
> matches the cloud it is configured to use.

I agree - I think it is not important for horizon to support backward
compat - it's most commonly deployed with a cloud, so one expects it to
support the software in the cloud in question.

> However, many other use
> cases for the Python libraries are meant to talk to multiple versions
> of clouds and the 8.0 release of novaclient causes problems there.
>
> Even after nova-net support is EOL officially OSC plans to support the
> use of nova-net for some time.  We are re-implementing the removed
> functionality locally.  And anticipating some of the questions why,
> consider an operator working on the long migration/upgrade from a
> deployed nova-net cloud to a Neutron cloud, and needing to keep at
> least one foot in both worlds.  There are other similar uses.

Similarly, shade intends to support nova-net for as long as shade
exists. We have already re-implemented most of nova-net support with
direct calls as part of our current project to delete use of python-*client.

It turns out there are humans out there who are consuming old clouds -
and end-user client tools should be supporting those humans, even when
the current releases of OpenStack deprecate/remove things.