[openstack-dev] [horizon][nova][tc] nova-network deprecation in horizon

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 15:23:56 UTC 2017

> On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 8:58 AM, Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com> wrote:
>> (question not directly related to this topic)
>> I am not sure there is a case where users still use API 2.36 for
>> network management
>> and newer API versions for other compute operation.
>
> This is probably true for Horizon, where the app install likely
> matches the cloud it is configured to use.  However, many other use
> cases for the Python libraries are meant to talk to multiple versions
> of clouds and the 8.0 release of novaclient causes problems there.
>
> Even after nova-net support is EOL officially OSC plans to support the
> use of nova-net for some time.  We are re-implementing the removed
> functionality locally.  And anticipating some of the questions why,
> consider an operator working on the long migration/upgrade from a
> deployed nova-net cloud to a Neutron cloud, and needing to keep at
> least one foot in both worlds.  There are other similar uses.

This topic on novaclient 8.0.0 raised me a question on our python
binding support policy.
I see two points:

- The one is which API version should be supported by a python binding
from a same release.
For example, Pike novaclient supports >2.36 of Nova API while Nova
still supports <=2.35 API.
Python bindings should support a whole set of supported API or a
subset of supported API
(of course including 'latest' version of API).

- The other is about multi cloud use cases. Different OpenStack clouds
may use different releases
and client libraries need to support

The latter covers broader range of use cases.

Akihiro