[openstack-dev] [horizon][nova][tc] nova-network deprecation in horizon

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 15:14:17 UTC 2017

On 4/10/2017 8:58 AM, Akihiro Motoki wrote:

> Is there any deprecation policy in novaclient python binding?
> I was not aware of deprecation warnings.
> If novaclient follows nova deprecation, it sounds reasonable to me.

Yes we deprecated the CLIs in this change in Newton:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/347514/

That would emit a deprecation warning if you're using the CLIs. If you
were using the latest microversion on those CLIs and it wasn't
supported, we softened the blow by falling back to 2.35 so things would
still work. That was dropped in the novaclient 8.0.0 release in Pike.
There was also a pretty massive release note with that change.

The change to deprecate the API bindings came after it, but also in Newton:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/348499/

I guess we weren't emitting a DeprecationWarning using the warnings.warn
method on those, maybe we should have. That's what Horizon would have
seen though, and probably why Horizon never noticed. The APIs were
capped at 2.35 though, and a client specifically opting into >2.35 on
those APIs would fail. Since Horizon hasn't been using nova
microversions with the novaclient API bindings until now, again that is
probably why no one in Horizon noticed.

Matt