[openstack-dev] [ironic][nova] Suggestion required on pci_device inventory addition to ironic and its subsequent changes in nova

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Mon Apr 10 10:59:48 UTC 2017

On 10 April 2017 at 11:31,  <sfinucan at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-04-10 at 11:50 +0530, Nisha Agarwal wrote:
>> Hi team,
>>
>> Please could you pour in your suggestions on the mail?
>>
>> I raised a blueprint in Nova for this https://blueprints.launchpad.ne
>> t/nova/+spec/pci-passthorugh-for-ironic and two RFEs at ironic side h
>> ttps://bugs.launchpad.net/ironic/+bug/1680780 and https://bugs.launch
>> pad.net/ironic/+bug/1681320 for the discussion topic.
>
> If I understand you correctly, you want to be able to filter ironic
> hosts by available PCI device, correct? Barring any possibility that
> resource providers could do this for you yet, extending the nova ironic
> driver to use the PCI passthrough filter sounds like the way to go.

With ironic I thought everything is "passed through" by default,
because there is no virtualization in the way. (I am possibly
incorrectly assuming no BIOS tricks to turn off or re-assign PCI
devices dynamically.)

So I am assuming this is purely a scheduling concern. If so, why are
the new custom resource classes not good enough? "ironic_blue" could
mean two GPUs and two 10Gb nics, "ironic_yellow" could mean one GPU
and one 1Gb nic, etc.

Or is there something else that needs addressing here? Trying to
describe what you get with each flavor to end users? Are you needing
to aggregating similar hardware in a different way to the above
resource class approach?

Thanks,
johnthetubaguy