[openstack-dev] [nova] notification update week 14

Balazs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at ericsson.com
Mon Apr 10 10:27:18 UTC 2017

Hi,

Here is the status update / focus setting mail about notification work
for week 14.

Bugs
----
[Medium] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1657428 The instance
notifications are sent with inconsistent timestamp format. Fix seems
abandoned by the original author so I will update it soon to
fix the review comments on https://review.openstack.org/#/c/421981

Versioned notification transformation
-------------------------------------
The volume_attach and detach notifications are still in focus to support
Searchlight switching to the versioned notifications:
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/401992/ Transform
instance.volume_attach notification. It is ready for core review.
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/408676/ Transform
instance.volume_detach notification. It needs some update to make
Jenkins happy.

Searchlight integration
-----------------------
changing Searchlight to use versioned notifications
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/searchlight/+spec/nova-versioned-notifications
bp is a hard dependency for the integration work.

There is a WIP path on searchlight side to follow
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/453352/

bp additional-notification-fields-for-searchlight
Besides volume_attach and volume_detach we need the following patches to
help Searchlight integration:
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+topic:bp/additional-notification-fields-for-searchlight
Some of them only missing a second +2.
There seems to be a debate about adding the tags field as it is a lazy
loaded field. Tags can only have new value in instance.create and
instance.update notifications so we might be able to limit the db load
by only add tags there. This is a change in the original direction
where we made the tags field loaded by default to avoid this
complication.

The https://review.openstack.org/#/c/448779/ (Add BDM to
InstancePayload) is now updated with the agreed bdms_in_notifications
config option to allow limiting the db load.

Other items
-----------
soft_delete and force_delete
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
During solving a regression about sending delete notifications for
unscheduled instances some of the soft_delete cases are removed. The
patch continuing the transformation of instance.delete notifications
hit a wall of soft_ and force_delete in
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/443764/ use context mgr in
instance.delete. This need some discussion how to move forward.

Inheritance in notification payload types
During the implementation of https://review.openstack.org/#/c/453667
(Add snapshot id to the snapshot notifications) we realized that the
inheritance used in the notification payload classes has some
drawbacks. When we need to introduce new leaf classes the content of
the nova.obj_name field will change in the emited payload. This should
be avoided if possible or at least we have to keep the version number
increasing all the time. See the
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/453667/ (explain payload inheritance
in notification devref) for more info.

Remove notification sample duplications
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Every notification has its own sample file in nova tree for functional
testing and for doc generation. Many notifications use the same payload
structure and therefore these sample files are quite similar to each
other. If a new field is added to the payload a lot of sample file
needs to be updated. The following patch series show a way to remove
such duplications https://review.openstack.org/#/c/452818/ (Factor out
duplicated notification sample data)

Small improvements
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/418489/ (Remove **kwargs passing in
payload __init__)
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/428199/ (Improve assertJsonEqual error
reporting)
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/443686/ (Using max api version in
notification sample test)
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/450787/ (remove ugly local import)
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/443677/ (Add json style checking for
sample notifications)

Weekly meeting
The notification subteam holds it's weekly meeting on Tuesday 17:00 UTC
on openstack-meeting-4 so the next meeting will be held on 11th of
April.
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20170411T170000

Cheers,
gibi