[openstack-dev] [nova] allow_instance_snapshots config option is not used consistently

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 00:56:00 UTC 2017

I found a fun little legacy nugget of compute API non-interoperability
joy tonight.

The "allow_instance_snapshots" config option disables the createImage
server action API. Completely config driven and therefore not discoverable.

What intrigues me is that this isn't applied to the createBackup or
shelve APIs, which also create a snapshot of the instance. Is this by
design? I'm guessing probably not. In fact, this predates the use of
Gerrit [1] so this was probably just something hacked in so long ago it
makes zero sense now. The way to disable any of these APIs now is via
policy.

Unless anyone has an issue with this, I'm going to deprecate it for removal.

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/nova/commit/9633e9877c7836c18c30b51c8494abfb025e64ca

Matt