[openstack-dev] [election] [tc] TC candidacy (dims)

Davanum Srinivas davanum at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 15:11:02 UTC 2017

Team,

Please consider my candidacy for another term on the OpenStack Technical
Committee. In my previous candidacy statement[1], i had mentioned the following
challenges - "balance stability/innovation, fostering new talent, target our
limited resources to make OpenStack even better". This is as true as it was
a year ago given the challenges we face today as a foundation. As a group, the
TC has made good progress in helping with those challenges. Some
highlights include:

* Recent Board/TC workshop where we identified 4 critical areas and setup up
work groups to come up with actionable items that we can do in the
short term [2].
* Technical Committee Vision for 2019 [2]

Since the following were my previous goals from [1]:
- Cross Project issues, increasing collaboration between projects
- Backwards compatibility issues and testing
- Evangelizing great ideas from different projects

In addition to spending time on the Release and requirements teams, Here are
some ways i helped on the last year
* Helped setup the python3 support in various projects and infrastructure and
  get several projects to setup CI jobs with functional tests
* Spent time in the Kubernetes community to figure out how to work better
  between the two communities, the areas of overlap etc.
* Started the go-and-containers initiative[4] to help advance golang as a choice
  for projects and increase areas of collaboration with Docker, Kubernetes.
* Actively or passively nudged several projects including Zun, OpenStack-Helm
  and Loci. Please look them up and participate!

In addition to challenges and goals from before, we have some new ones that i
would like to work on:
- We need to draw boundaries around what we do well so we can talk better to
  others in the larger open source eco systems (adjacent communities) about how
  end users can compose and customize what they need for their environments
- Some projects need help since cores have moved to work on other
things or their
  employers have moved away from supporting those projects. We need to
figure out
  how to help, not just from a maintenance point of view, but how to convert
  folks who are part timers or operators to help actively to keep things going.
- Folks who are just getting started in OpenStack do not know how to advance in
  the community (contributor->core, core for multiple projects, cross project
  collaboration etc), so we should setup programs and processes (Ladder program
  in vision statement) to help with this situation.

I love being part of the OpenStack community and learning from all the great
talented people is what keeps me going. Thanks for the opportunity to serve
on the TC last year and would love to do so for another term.

[1] https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/election/tree/candidates/newton/TC/Davanum_Srinivas.txt
[2] https://crustyblaa.com/march-8-2017-openstack-foundation-strategic-planning-workshop.html
[3] http://docs-draft.openstack.org/62/453262/3/check/gate-governance-docs-ubuntu-xenial/e13854f//doc/build/html/reference/technical-committee-vision-2019.html
[4] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/go-and-containers