[openstack-dev] [architecture] Arch-WG, we hardly knew ye..

lebre.adrien at free.fr lebre.adrien at free.fr
Fri Apr 7 13:50:05 UTC 2017

Dear Clint, Dear all,

It is indeed unfortunate that the WG ends.

>From our side (Inria folks from the Discovery initiative [1]), we had planned to join the effort after the Boston Summit as we are currently addressing two points that are/were closely related to the Arch WG (at least from our understanding):

* We have been working during this last cycle on the consolidation of the EnOS solution [2] (in particular with advice from the performance team).
EnOS aims to perform OpenStack Performance analyses/profiling.  It is built on top of Kolla and integrates Rally and Shaker and more recently  OSProfiler.
We are currently conducting preliminary experiments to draw, in an automatic manner, sequence diagrams such as https://docs.openstack.org/ops-guide/_images/provision-an-instance.png
We hope it will help our community to understand better the OpenStack architecture as well as the interactions between the different services, in particular it would help us to follow changes between cycles.

* We started a discussion regarding the oslo.messaging driver [3].
Our goal is, first,  to make a qualitative analysis of AMQP messages (i.e. we would like to understand the different AMQP exchanges better) and try to identify possible improvements.
Second, we will do performance analysis of the rabbitMQ under different scenarios and, according to gathered results, we will conduct additional experiments with alternatives solutions (ZMQ, Qpid, ...)
Please note that this is a preliminary discussion, so we just exchanged between a few folks from the Massively Distributed WG. We proposed a session to the forum [4] with the goal of opening the discussion more generally to the community.

We are convinced of the relevance of a WG such as the Architecture one, but as you probably already know, it is difficult for most of us to join different meetings several times per week, and thus rather difficult to gather efforts that are done in other WGs. I don't know whether and how we can improve this solution but it would make sense.

In any case,  thanks for giving a first try.
Ad_rien_

[1]: http://beyondtheclouds.github.io
[2]: https://enos.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
[3]: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/oslo_messaging_discussion