[openstack-dev] [architecture] Arch-WG, we hardly knew ye..

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Apr 7 07:52:52 UTC 2017

Clint Byrum wrote:
> I'm going to be blunt. I'm folding the Architecture Working Group
> immediately following our meeting today at 2000 UTC. We'll be using the
> time to discuss continuity of the base-services proposal, and any other
> draw-down necessary. After that our meetings will cease.
>
> I had high hopes for the arch-wg, with so many joining us to discuss
> things in Atlanta. But ultimately, we remain a very small group with
> very limited resources, and so I don't think it's the best use of our
> time to continue chasing the arch-wg.

While I'm sad to see this group disappear, it ended up being just a few
folks with limited time on their hands, and the output of the group was
limited. With such activity levels it is clearly not worth the overhead
of maintaining regular meetings, tracking, processes and structure
around our work.

I expect most of the initiatives to continue to be pushed through
existing venues like the Technical Committee or the promising new
inter-project workgroups. I for one intend to continue to push to define
base services in OpenStack and introduce etcd to that mix.

Thanks Clint for encouraging us to take a step back and spend more time
thinking about that sort of thing !

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)